facebook logo twitter logoinstagram logo
139 NJ-17 Hackensack NJ 07601
To Make An Appointment:
telephone symbol201.646.2008 | email iconinfo@meadowlandsvethospital.com
Monday - Friday: 9am to 7pm, Saturday: 9am to 6pm, Sunday: 10am to 6pm

Receive $10 off your first exam!
New Clients Only.

Thanksgiving Pet Safety Tips

fall leaves and dog

As we get ready for Thanksgiving, our pets are practicing their “puppy eyes” and “begging mannerisms.”  Make sure your celebration planning is as pet-friendly as possible. Here are a few tips to get you started:

Meadowlands Vet Pet waiting to get some thanksgiving dinner 1. “The feast is on the table, not under”

Do not give your pets the following foods: fatty foods such as butter, bacon, meat gravies, scraps, these may seem harmless but even in little amounts can pose risks of pancreatitis. Pancreatitis, as it suggests in the name is inflammation of the pancreas that can result in symptoms such as vomiting, diarrhea, lethargy, loss of appetite, abdominal pain and discomfort.

If you want them to have a special feast with you, make them a small feast of their own  – with their food/kibble add regular unseasoned chicken broth, pumpkin, cooked sweet potato and some freshly boiled chicken (unseasoned) and top with a little garnish of their crumbled favorite treats.

2.“No Room for Dessert”

Chocolates, coffee, raisins, grapes are an absolute no-no for pets. They are poisonous and can not only cause pancreatitis but in severe cases can cause elevated heart rate, heart failure, seizures, tremors, etc. Xylitol is an artificial sweetener very commonly found gum, sugar-free baked goods and is extremely toxic for dogs and cats, even small amounts can cause low blood sugar, seizures, organ failure, and death.

3. “Who let the trash out?”

Take the trash out before your pets have a chance to do it for you. Dispose of all your table scraps, turkey carcass, bones and anything else that could pose as a risk in secured garbage bags and place them in a tightly closed container. Better yet, if possible put it out in your outdoor garbage containers as soon as you can.

4. “No flowers for the pets”

Those beautiful bouquets your guests came home with are a concern for many reasons. Flowers like lilies, daffodils can result in acute organ failure and gastrointestinal upset in your pets. Keep the bouquets out of your pets’ reach, perhaps in another room.

5. ” Your pets and guests”

Sometimes pets are excited to see new people and sometimes they can get irritable and anxious. Make sure your pets are happy and safe as well:


pets indoorsa. If you are hosting a party make sure your pet has a separate room or crate with their favorite treats and toys where they can go to escape from the noise and activity.

b. While you welcome guests or see guests out make sure your pets are indoors. Make sure all exits are secured.

c. Make sure you have updated and registered their microchip and collar tags, so if they escape they can safely be returned to you. If you would like to know more call Meadowlands Vet, we will be happy to help you.

d. If your pets get particularly anxious around visitors, give us a call to discuss a solution to this common problem.


If you believe your pet has eaten something it shouldn’t have, call your local veterinarian or emergency clinic immediately. You may also want to call ASPCA Poison Control Hotline: 888-426-445.

Happy Thanksgiving!!

Please note: we will be closed for Thanksgiving Day on 11/28/19. If you have questions please do not hesitate to contact us at 201-646-2008 or visit us at http://www.meadowlandsvethospital.com





By |November 21st, 2019|
Font Resize