#1 Sago Palm
These ornamental palms are popular in warmer climates and every part of it is toxic to dogs. They are also said to be very alluring as some dogs find them quite delicious. Serious side effects including liver failure and possible death can occur, so be very careful.
#2 Tomato Plant
With summer comes tomato plants in the garden. Make sure to keep dogs clear though, as they can cause weakness, gastrointestinal problems, drowsiness, dilated pupils, slow heart rate, and confusion.
#3 Aloe Vera
Saponins in this succulent can cause vomiting, diarrhea, lethargy, tremors, and general central nervous system depression.
Vomiting, diarrhea, excessive salivation and drooling, and abdominal pain are caused by ingesting ivy.
Another poisonous plant for dogs, this flowering bulb is a very common garden ornamental.
This lovely summer flower can cause drooling, vomiting, diarrhea, and general lethargy.
#7 American Holly
A popular ornamental shrub in some areas, holly is a low toxicity plant but your dog may experience vomiting and diarrhea if they eat it.
Commonly found in the spring, these flowers can cause intestinal spasms, low blood pressure, salivation, tremors, vomiting, diarrhea, and even cardiac arrhythmia.
#9 Baby’s Breath
This small flower that accompanies floral arrangements can cause vomiting and diarrhea.
Milkweed will induce the usual vomiting and diarrhea, but your dog may also experience difficulty breathing, rapid and weak pulse, dilated pupils, and even kidney or liver failure and death.
#11 Castor Bean
Not common in gardens, castor bean is found in parks and other large-scale outdoor landscaping. If ingested your dog may experience drooling, vomiting, diarrhea, extreme thirst, loss of appetite, and abdominal pain. Potentially fatal in severe cases, which may present as muscle twitching, tremors, seizures, and even coma.
These common flowering shrubs are poisonous plants for dogs and produce serious gastrointestinal issues. They can additionally cause weakness, discoordination, and weak heart rate. Potentially fatal.
The usual gastrointestinal problems are accompanied by central nervous system depression and even convulsions and death.
Vomiting, diarrhea, skin rash, and drooling may be in your dog’s future if they ingest this common flower.
A very common garden flower that can cause extreme oral irritation and excessive inflammation of the mouth, as well as drooling and vomiting.
All parts of this flower, fresh or dried, are poisonous and should be avoided by all pets.
The leaves, stems, and roots are toxic and cause mucous membrane irritation, intense burning, and irritation of the mouth, lips, and tongue, excessive drooling, vomiting, and difficulty in swallowing.
#18. Arrowhead Plant
Most common species is Syngonium podophyllum. All parts of the plant are toxic and cause vomiting, depression, diarrhea, lack of appetite, chills, and change in the color of urine.
#19. Calla Lily
Calla lilies are beautiful, but at the same time, they are one of the poisonous plants for dogs and cats. When the plant is chewed, clinical signs are visible immediately. You can see oral pain, diarrhea, drooling, lack of appetite, and pawing at the mouth.
#20. Strelitzia (Bird of Paradise)
Strelitzia, which is also called “bird of paradise” is an extraordinary ornamental plant that can cause mild nausea, vomiting, drowsiness, difficulty in breathing, less appetite, and death.
#21. ZZ Plant
ZZ plant belongs to the Araceae family; it contains calcium oxalate crystals that can cause mucous membrane irritation, intense burning, and irritation of the mouth and lips, tongue, excessive drooling.
Chewing or biting into this plant can cause injury andm ucous membrane irritation, intense burning, and irritation of the mouth and lips, tongue, excessive drooling, vomiting, and difficulty in swallowing.
#23. Jade Plant
Crassula ovata is an easily grown plant that when chewed or bitten can cause nausea, and retching.
#24. Kafir Lily
Kafir lily is an exquisite plant with succulent leaves and orange flowers. Its ingestion can cause kidney failure in cats; it is also one of the toxic plants to dogs. It can also cause vomiting and diarrhea. Large intake causes convulsions, low blood pressure, tremors, and cardiac arrhythmia.
#25. Dracaena fragrans
Its common name is the cornstalk plant. It can cause vomiting (sometimes with blood), depression, lack of appetite, and drooling.
Cyclamen is a beautiful flowering annual houseplant that is grown for ornamental purposes. However, cyclamen contains saponins, and if its roots are ingested cause salivation, vomiting, and diarrhea. At high intake cardiac, arrhythmia and convulsions are also possible.
#27. Desert Rose (Adenium)
Adenium is one of the plants poisonous for dogs and all parts of the plant are poisonous, including the sap. It causes vomiting, diarrhea, anorexia, depression, irregular heartbeat, and death (If ingested in higher amount).
#28. Golden Pothos
You can exclude this plant as it is mildly toxic and causes mucous membrane irritation, intense burning, and irritation of the mouth, lips, and tongue, excessive drooling, difficulty in swallowing.
A genus of plants of the Crassulaceae family. Kalanchoe is a beautiful common houseplant with flowers. This plant contains a naturally occurring poison that affects the heart. All parts of the plant can cause moderate to severe vomiting, diarrhea, abnormal heart rhythm (rare).
If you are growing eucalyptus as a houseplant and you have a dog then be aware, eucalyptus oil can trigger lethargy and irritate your dog. All parts of the plant can cause moderate salivation, vomiting, diarrhea, depression, weakness.
#31. Flame Lily (Gloriosa superba)
A beautiful ornamental plant, its flowers look like a flame. All parts are poisonous but mostly the tubers (swollen, underground stems). The ingestion of flame lily has caused many accidental deaths. It causes severe salivation, vomiting (bloody), diarrhea (bloody), shock, kidney failure, liver damage, bone marrow suppression, paralysis, death.
#32. Flamingo Flower (Anthurium scherzeranum)
Flamingo flower contains calcium oxalates that can irritate the mouth and other mild clinical symptoms if ingested. All parts of the plant are toxic and can cause mild mucous membrane irritation, intense burning, and irritation of the mouth, lips, and tongue, excessive drooling, and difficulty in swallowing.
If your pet has ingested a plant and you are concerned about toxicity please contact Meadowlands Veterinary Hospital at 201-646-2008 or visit us at www.meadowlandsvethospital.com. You can also call ASPCA at (888) 426-4435 for any animal poison-related emergency, 24 hours a day, 365 days a year.