facebook logo twitter logoinstagram logo
139 NJ-17 Hackensack NJ 07601
To Make An Appointment:
telephone symbol201.646.2008 | email iconinfo@meadowlandsvethospital.com
Monday - Friday: 9am to 7pm, Saturday: 9am to 6pm, Sunday: 10am to 6pm

Receive $10 off your first exam!
New Clients Only.

My Dog Ate My Candy, Oh No! Halloween Safety Tips!

Dogs in costumes

Halloween is an exciting time of year with costumes, candy, and tricker-treaters.  Normally the spookier the better but let’s not forget how scary this time can be for your dogs and cats.   With lights on the houses, masks, and frequent visitors to your door its no wonder our furry friends can be a little frazzled. As a veterinarian, I have seen my fair share of Halloween mishaps.  Here are some tips and tricks to keep this trick or treating season safe.

  • Keep your treats in a safe location:  Ingestion of too much candy is not good for anyone but some sweets such as chocolate and sugar-free candies or gum containing the artificial sweetener xylitol can be toxic and cause serious illness for your pets.  Even cats, guinea pigs, ferrets, rats and rabbits all have a sweet tooth!  If your pet ingests any of these please call Meadowlands Veterinary Hospital at 201-646-2008 or the ASPCA Poison Control Center at 888-426-4434.  Also, be sure to keep jack-o-lanterns, electric wires, string, or other decorations away from curious pets.
  • Find a safe comfortable space: If you know your pet is anxious when the mailman comes, he/she may be overloaded by the number of visitors at the door.  It’s a good idea to find a dark, quiet place in the house and keep them confined so that they do not harm themselves, others, or your property.  Turning the TV on sometimes helps.
  • Dog in costume
  • Find the Perfect Costume:  When looking for your pet’s costume, make sure it fits properly, doesn’t have any pieces that can easily be chewed off and doesn’t interfere with your pet’s sight, hearing, breathing, or movement.  If they appear uncomfortable, consider passing on the photo op and letting them relax.  Also, make sure that their collar and ID are part of their costume!  If they are not microchipped, you may consider doing it before the holiday season!

For more tips, this Holiday season check out: https://meadowlandsvethospital.com/blog/

By |October 17th, 2017|
Font Resize